14 November 2012

14 Nov 2012, Wednesday of Week 32; St. Lawrence O’Toole

FIRST READING
Titus 3:1-7

Beloved:
Remind them to be under the control of magistrates and authorities, to be obedient, to be open to every good enterprise. They are to slander no one, to be peaceable, considerate, exercising all graciousness toward everyone. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, deluded, slaves to various desires and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful ourselves and hating one another.

But when the kindness and generous love of God our savior appeared, not because of any righteous deeds we had done but because of his mercy, he saved us through the bath of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he richly poured out on us through Jesus Christ our savior, so that we might be justified by his grace and become heirs in hope of eternal life.

RESPONSORIAL PSALM
Psalm 23:1b-3a, 3bc-4, 5, 6

R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. In verdant pastures he gives me repose; Beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul.

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side With your rod and your staff that give me courage.

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

ALLELUIA
1 Thessalonians 5:18

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

In all circumstances, give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GOSPEL
Luke 17:11-19

As Jesus continued his journey to Jerusalem, he traveled through Samaria and Galilee. As he was entering a village, ten lepers met him. They stood at a distance from him and raised their voice, saying, “Jesus, Master! Have pity on us!” And when he saw them, he said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” As they were going they were cleansed. And one of them, realizing he had been healed, returned, glorifying God in a loud voice; and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him. He was a Samaritan. Jesus said in reply, “Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine? Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?” Then he said to him, “Stand up and go; your faith has saved you.”

REFLECTIONS:

What can adversity teach us about the blessing of
thanksgiving and the healing power of love and mercy? The Book of Proverbs
states:
A friend loves at all times; and a brother is born for adversity
(Proverbs 17:17). When adversity strikes you find out who truly is your
brother, sister, and friend. The gospel records an unusual encounter between
two peoples who had been divided for centuries. The Jews and Samaritans
had no dealings with one another even though Samaria was located in the
central part of Judaea. Both peoples were openly hostile whenever their
paths crossed. In this gospel narrative we see one rare exception a Samaritan
leper in company with nine Jewish lepers. Sometimes adversity forces people
to drop their barriers or to forget their prejudices. When this band of
Jewish and Samaritan lepers saw Jesus they made a bold request. They didn't
ask for healing, but instead asked for mercy.
The word mercy literally means "sorrowful at heart". But
mercy is something more than compassion, or heartfelt sorrow at another's
misfortune. Compassion empathizes with the sufferer. But mercy goes further;
it removes suffering. A merciful person shares in another's misfortune
and suffering as if it were his or her own. And such a person will do everything
in his or her power to dispel that misery. Mercy is also connected with
justice. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), a great teacher and scripture scholar,
said that mercy "does not destroy justice, but is a certain kind of
fulfillment of justice. ..Mercy without justice is the mother of dissolution;
(and) justice without mercy is cruelty." Pardon without repentance
negates justice. So what is the significance of these ten lepers asking
for mercy? They know they are in need of healing, not just physical, but
spiritual healing as well. They approach Jesus with contrition and
faith because they believe that he can release the burden of guilt and
suffering and make restoration of body and soul possible. Their request
for mercy is both a plea for pardon and release from suffering. Jesus gives
mercy to all who ask with faith and contrition.

Why did only one leper out of ten return to show gratitude? Gratefulness,
another word which expresses gratitude or thankfulness, is related to grace

which means the release of loveliness. Gratitude is the homage of
the heart which responds with graciousness in expressing an act of thanksgiving.
The Samaritan approached Jesus reverently and gave praise to God. If we
do not recognize and appreciate the mercy shown us we will be ungrateful.
Ingratitude is forgetfulness or a poor return for kindness received. Ingratitude
easily leads to lack of charity and intolerance towards others. It easily
leads to lack of charity and intolerance towards others, as well as to
other sins, such as discontent, dissatisfaction, complaining, grumbling,
pride and presumption. How often have we been ungrateful to our parents,
pastors, teachers, and neighbors? Do you express gratitude to God for his
abundant grace and mercy and are you gracious and merciful towards your
neighbor?

"Lord Jesus, may I never fail to recognize your loving kindness and
mercy. Fill my heart with gratitude and thanksgiving, and free me from
ingratitude and discontentment. Help me to count my blessings with a gratefull
heart and to give thanks in all circumstances."





No comments:

Post a Comment