07 November 2012

07 Nov 2012, Wednesday of Week 31; Blessed Giuseppe Antonio Tovini

FIRST READING
Philippians 2:12-18

My beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For God is the one who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work. Do everything without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine like lights in the world, as you hold on to the word of life, so that my boast for the day of Christ may be that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. But, even if I am poured out as a libation upon the sacrificial service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with all of you. In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.

RESPONSORIAL PSALM
Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The LORD is my life’s refuge; of whom should I be afraid?

R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD and contemplate his temple.

R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD with courage; be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.

R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

ALLELUIA
1 Peter 4:14

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

If you are insulted for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of God rests upon you.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GOSPEL
Luke 14:25-33

Great crowds were traveling with Jesus, and he turned and addressed them, “If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. Which of you wishing to construct a tower does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if there is enough for its completion? Otherwise, after laying the foundation and finding himself unable to finish the work the onlookers should laugh at him and say, ‘This one began to build but did not have the resources to finish.’ Or what king marching into battle would not first sit down and decide whether with ten thousand troops he can successfully oppose another king advancing upon him with twenty thousand troops? But if not, while he is still far away, he will send a delegation to ask for peace terms. In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple.”

REFLECTIONS:

Why does Jesus say we must 'hate' our families and
even ourselves? The expression 'to hate' often meant to 'prefer less'.
Jesus used strong language to make clear that nothing should take precedence
or first place in our lives over God. Jesus knew that the way of the cross
was the Father's way to glory and victory over sin and death. He counted
the cost and said 'yes' to his Father's will. We, too, must 'count the
cost' and be ready to follow Jesus in the way of the cross if we want to
share in his glory and victory. What is the 'way of the cross' for you
and for me? When my will crosses with God's will, then his will must be
done. The way of the cross involves sacrifice, the sacrifice of laying
down my life each and every day for Jesus' sake. What makes such sacrifice
possible and "sweet" for us is the love of God poured out for us in the
blood of Jesus Christ. Paul the Apostle reminds us that "God's love
has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit" (Romans 5:5).
We can never outgive God. He always gives us more than we can expect or
imagine. Do you allow the Holy Spirit to fill your heart with the love
of God?
What does the parable of the tower builder and a ruler on a war campaign
have in common? Both risk serious loss if they don't carefully plan ahead.
In a shame and honor culture people want to avoid at all costs being mocked
by their community for failing to complete a task they began in earnest.
This double parable echoes the instruction of Proverbs: "By wisdom a house
is built" and "by wise guidance you can wage a war" to ensure victory (Proverbs
24:3-6). Every landowner who could afford it walled in his orchard as a
protection from intruders who might steal or harm his produce. A tower
was usually built in a corner of the wall and a guard posted especially
during harvest time when thieves would likely try to make off with the
goods. Starting a building-project, like a watchtower, and leaving it unfinished
because of poor planning would invite the scorn of the whole village. Likewise
a king who decided to wage a war against an opponent who was much stronger,
would be considered foolish if he did not come up with a plan that had
a decent chance of success.

Jesus tells his would-be disciples that they, too, must count the cost
if they want to succeed as his disciples. Jesus assures success for those
willing to pay the price. All it cost is everything! What does Jesus have
to offer that's worth giving up everything else? More than we can imagine!
Jesus offers the gift of abundant life and everlasting peace and happiness
with God. (See the parable
of the treasure hidden in the field and the
pearl of great price in Matthew 13:44-45). It's natural to ask
what will it require of me or cost me before I sign up or agree to pay
for something. Jesus was utterly honest and spared no words to tell his
disciples that it would cost them dearly to follow after him. There can
be no room for compromise or concession with God. We either give our lives
over to him entirely or we keep them for ourselves. Paul the Apostle says,
"We
are not our own. We were bought with a price" ( 1 Corinthians
6:19b,20). That price is the precious blood
of Jesus Christ shed for us upon the cross to redeem us from slavery to
sin and death.

The love of God compels us to choose who or what will be first in our
lives. To place any relationship or any possession above God is a form
of idolatry. Jesus challenges his disciples to examine who they love first
and foremost. Jesus' way to glory and power is opposite the world's way
of glory, power, and success. The choice is ours, but the Lord does not
leave us alone if we choose to follow him. Does the love of Christ compel
you to put God first in all you do (see 2 Corinthians 5)?

"Lord Jesus, may your love transform me that I may truly desire nothing
more than life with you. May you always be first in my thoughts and intentions,
and in my words and actions."





No comments:

Post a Comment