03 November 2012

03 Nov 2012, Saturday of Week 30; St. Martin de Porres

FIRST READING
Philippians 1:18b-26

Brothers and sisters:
As long as in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

Indeed I shall continue to rejoice, for I know that this will result in deliverance for me through your prayers and support from the Spirit of Jesus Christ. My eager expectation and hope is that I shall not be put to shame in any way, but that with all boldness, now as always, Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me life is Christ, and death is gain. If I go on living in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. And I do not know which I shall choose. I am caught between the two. I long to depart this life and be with Christ, for that is far better. Yet that I remain in the flesh is more necessary for your benefit. And this I know with confidence, that I shall remain and continue in the service of all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your boasting in Christ Jesus may abound on account of me when I come to you again.

RESPONSORIAL PSALM
Psalm 42:2, 3, 5cdef

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

As the hind longs for the running waters, so my soul longs for you, O God.

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

Athirst is my soul for God, the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

I went with the throng and led them in procession to the house of God. Amid loud cries of joy and thanksgiving, with the multitude keeping festival.

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

ALLELUIA
Matthew 11:29ab

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GOSPEL
Luke 14:1, 7-11

On a sabbath Jesus went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees, and the people there were observing him carefully.

He told a parable to those who had been invited, noticing how they were choosing the places of honor at the table. “When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not recline at table in the place of honor. A more distinguished guest than you may have been invited by him, and the host who invited both of you may approach you and say, ‘Give your place to this man,’ and then you would proceed with embarrassment to take the lowest place. Rather, when you are invited, go and take the lowest place so that when the host comes to you he may say, ‘My friend, move up to a higher position.’ Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

REFLECTIONS:

Who wants to be last? Isn't it only natural to desire
respect and esteem from others? Jesus' parable of the guests invited to
the marriage feast probes our motives for seeking honor and position. Self-promotion
is most often achieved at the expense of others! Jesus' parable reinforces
the teaching of Proverbs: Do not put yourself forward in the king's
presence or stand in the place of the great; for it is better to be told,
"Come up here," than to be put lower in the presence of the prince (Proverbs
25:6-7).
What is true humility and why should we make it a characteristic mark
of our life and action? True humility is not feeling bad about yourself,
or having a low opinion of yourself, or thinking of yourself as inferior
to others. True humility frees us from preoccupation with ourselves, whereas
a low self-opinion tends to focus our attention on ourselves. Humility
is truth in self-understanding and truth in action. Viewing ourselves truthfully,
with sober judgment, means seeing ourselves the way God sees us (Psalm
139:1-4). A humble person makes a realistic assessment of himself or herself
without illusion or pretense to be something he or she is not. The humble
regard themselves neither smaller nor larger than they truly are. True
humility frees us to be our true selves and to avoid despair and pride.
A humble person does not have to wear a mask or put on a facade in order
to look good to others, especially to those who are not really familiar
with that person. The humble are not swayed by accidentals, such as fame,
reputation, success, or failure.

Humility is the queen or foundation of all the other virtues because
it enables us to view and judge ourselves correctly, the way God sees us.
Humility leads to true self-knowledge, honesty, realism, strength, and
dedication to give ourselves to something greater than ourselves. Humility
frees us to love and serve others selflessly, for their sake, rather than
our own. Paul the Apostles, gives us the greatest example and model
of humility in the person of Jesus Christ, who emptied himself, taking
the form of a servant, ...who humbled himself and became obedient unto
death, even death on a cross (Philippians 2:7-8). The Lord Jesus gives
grace to those who seek him humbly. Do you want to be a servant as Jesus
served?

"Lord Jesus, you became a servant for my sake to set me free from the
tyranny of sin, selfishness, and conceit. Help me to be humble as you are
humble and to love freely and graciously all whom you call me to serve."

No comments:

Post a Comment