26 July 2012

26 July 2012, Saint Joachim and Saint Anne, parents of the BlessedVirgin Mary - Feast

FIRST READING
Sirach 44:1, 10-15

Now will I praise those godly men, our ancestors, each in his own time: These were godly men whose virtues have not been forgotten; Their wealth remains in their families, their heritage with their descendants; Through God’s covenant with them their family endures, their posterity for their sake.

And for all time their progeny will endure, their glory will never be blotted out; Their bodies are peacefully laid away, but their name lives on and on. At gatherings their wisdom is retold, and the assembly proclaims their praise.

RESPONSORIAL PSALM
Psalm 132:11, 13-14, 17-18

R. God will give him the throne of David, his father.

The LORD swore to David a firm promise from which he will not withdraw: “Your own offspring I will set upon your throne.”

R. God will give him the throne of David, his father.

For the LORD has chosen Zion; he prefers her for his dwelling. “Zion is my resting place forever; in her will I dwell, for I prefer her.”

R. God will give him the throne of David, his father.

“In her will I make a horn to sprout forth for David; I will place a lamp for my anointed. His enemies I will clothe with shame, but upon him my crown shall shine.”

R. God will give him the throne of David, his father.

ALLELUIA
See Luke 2:25c

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

They yearned for the comforting of Israel, and the Holy Spirit rested upon them.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GOSPEL
Matthew13:16-17

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Blessed are your eyes, because they see, and your ears, because they hear. Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.”

REFLECTIONS:

Do you want to grow in your knowledge of God?
Saint Augustine of Hippo once said: "I believe, in order to understand;
and I understand, the better to believe." Both faith and understanding
are gifts of the Holy Spirit that enable us to hear God's word with clarity
so we can know God better and grow in the knowledge of his love and truth.
Jesus, however, had to warn his disciples that not everyone would understand
his teaching. The prophet Isaiah had warned that some would hear God's
word, but not believe, some would see God's actions and miracles, and remained
unconvinced. Ironically some of the greatest skeptics of Jesus' teaching
and miracles were the learned scribes and Pharisess who prided themselves
on their knowledge of scripture and the law of Moses. They heard Jesus'
parables and saw the great signs and miracles which he performed, but they
refused to accept both Jesus and his message. How could they "hear and
never understand" and "see but never perceive"? They were spiritually blind
and deaf because their hearts were closed and their minds were blocked
by pride and prejudice. How could a man from Galilee, the supposed son
of a carpenter, know more about God and his word, than these experts who
devoted their lives to study and teaching?
There is only one thing that can open a closed, confused, and divided
mind a broken heart and humble spirit! The word style="font-style: italic;">disciple
means one who is willing to learn and ready to submit to the wisdom and
truth which comes from God. Psalm 119 expresses the joy and delight of
a disciple who loves God's word and who embraces it with trust and obedience.
"Oh, how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment
makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding
than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation." (Psalm 119:97-99)

God can only reveal the secrets of his kingdom to the humble and trusting
person who acknowledges their need for God and for his truth. The parables
of Jesus will enlighten us if we approach them with an open mind and heart,
ready to let them challenge us. If we approach God's word with indifference,
skepticism, and disbelief, then we, too, may "hear but not understand"
and "see but not perceive." God's word can only take root in a receptive
heart that is ready to believe and willing to submit. If we want to hear
and to understand God's word, we must listen with reverence and faith.
Do you believe God's word and do you submit to it with trust and reverence?

Jerome, an early church bible scholar
who lived between 342-419 AD, wrote: "You are reading [the scriptures]?
No.Your betrothed is talking to you. It is your betrothed, that is, Christ,
who is united with you. He tears you away from the solitude of the desert
and brings you into his home, saying to you, 'Enter into the joy of your
Master.'"

"Holy Spirit, be my teacher and guide. Open my ears to hear God's word
and open my eyes to understand God's action in my life. May my heart never
grow dull and may my ears never tire of listening to the voice of Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment