14 June 2012

14 June 2012, Thursday of Week 10; St. Andrew Fournet

FIRST READING
1 Kings 18:41-46

Elijah said to Ahab, “Go up, eat and drink, for there is the sound of a heavy rain.” So Ahab went up to eat and drink, while Elijah climbed to the top of Carmel, crouched down to the earth, and put his head between his knees. “Climb up and look out to sea,” he directed his servant, who went up and looked, but reported, “There is nothing.” Seven times he said, “Go, look again!” And the seventh time the youth reported, “There is a cloud as small as a man’s hand rising from the sea.” Elijah said, “Go and say to Ahab, ‘Harness up and leave the mountain before the rain stops you.’” In a trice the sky grew dark with clouds and wind, and a heavy rain fell. Ahab mounted his chariot and made for Jezreel. But the hand of the LORD was on Elijah, who girded up his clothing and ran before Ahab as far as the approaches to Jezreel.

RESPONSORIAL PSALM
Psalm 65:10, 11, 12-13

R. (2a) It is right to praise you in Zion, O God.

You have visited the land and watered it; greatly have you enriched it. God’s watercourses are filled; you have prepared the grain.

R. It is right to praise you in Zion, O God.

Thus have you prepared the land: drenching its furrows, breaking up its clods, Softening it with showers, blessing its yield.

R. It is right to praise you in Zion, O God.

You have crowned the year with your bounty, and your paths overflow with a rich harvest; The untilled meadows overflow with it, and rejoicing clothes the hills.

R. It is right to praise you in Zion, O God.

ALLELUIA
John 13:34

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

I give you a new commandment: love one another as I have loved you.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GOSPEL
Matthew 5:20-26

Jesus said to his disciples:

“I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the Kingdom of heaven.

“You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment. But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, Raqa, will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”

REFLECTIONS:

Are you ever driven by anger, rage, or revenge? The
first person to hate his brother was Cain. God warned Cain: Why are
you angry? ..Sin in couching at the door; its desire is for you, but you
must master it (Genesis 4:6-7). Sin doesnt just happen to us; it first
grows as a tiny seed in our heart. Unless it is uprooted, by Gods grace,
it grows like a weed and chokes the vine and all its fruit. Jesus addressed
the issue of keeping the commandments with his disciples. The scribes and
Pharisees equated righteousness with satisfying the outward observance
of the law. Jesus showed them how short they had come. Jesus points to
the heart as the seat of desire and choice. Unless evil and forbidden desires
are eradicated, the heart will be corrupted. Jesus points to forbidden
anger with one's brother. This is a selfish anger that broods and is long-lived,
that nurses a grudge and keeps wrath warm, and that refuses to die. Harboring
anger in the heart as well as anger in speech and action are equally forbidden
by God.
What is the antidote to anger and rage? Mercy, kindness, and forbearance
spring from a heart full of love and forgiveness. God has forgiven us and
he calls us to extend mercy and forgiveness towards those who cause us
grief and harm. In the cross of Jesus we see the supreme example
of love and forgiveness and the power of goodness for overcoming evil.
Only Gods love and grace can set our hearts and minds free from the tyranny
of wounded pride and spiteful revenge. Do you harbor any anger towards
another person? And are you quick to be reconciled when a rupture has been
caused in your relationships? Ask God to set you free and to fill your
heart and mind with his love and goodness. Paul the Apostle reminds us
that "God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit
which has been given to us" (Romans 5:5). Through the grace and help of
the Holy Spirit we can overcome malice with good, hatred with kindness,
and injury with pardon.

May I be no mans enemy, and may I be the friend of that which is eternal
and abides. May I never quarrel with those nearest me: and if I do, may
I be reconciled quickly. May I love, seek, and attain only that which is
good. May I wish for all mens happiness and envy none. May I never rejoice
in the ill-fortune of one who has wronged me. When I have done or said
what is wrong, may I never wait for the rebuke of others, but always rebuke
myself until I make amends. May I win no victory that harms either me or
my opponent. May I reconcile friends who are angry with one another. May
I never fail a friend who is in danger. When visiting those in grief may
I be able by gentle and healing words to soften their pain. May I respect
myself. May I always keep tame that which rages within me. May I accustom
myself to be gentle, and never be angry with people because of circumstances.
May I never discuss who is wicked and what wicked things he has done, but
know good men and follow in their footsteps. (Prayer
of Eusebius, 3rd century)

No comments:

Post a Comment