04 June 2011

05 Jun 2011, Seventh Sunday of Easter

Reading 1
Acts 1:12-14


After Jesus had been taken up to heaven the apostles
returned to Jerusalem
from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem,
a sabbath day’s journey away.

When they entered the city
they went to the upper room where they were staying,
Peter and John and James and Andrew,
Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew,
James son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot,
and Judas son of James.
All these devoted themselves with one accord to prayer,
together with some women,
and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.


Ps 27:1, 4, 7-8
Responsorial Psalm R. (13)


I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.
One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call;
have pity on me, and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks.
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Reading 2
1 Pt 4:13-16


Beloved:
Rejoice to the extent that you share in the sufferings of Christ,
so that when his glory is revealed
you may also rejoice exultantly.
If you are insulted for the name of Christ, blessed are you,
for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.
But let no one among you be made to suffer
as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as an intriguer.
But whoever is made to suffer as a Christian should not be ashamed
but glorify God because of the name.



Gospel
Jn 17:1-11a


Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said,
“Father, the hour has come.
Give glory to your son, so that your son may glorify you,
just as you gave him authority over all people,
so that your son may give eternal life to all you gave him.
Now this is eternal life,
that they should know you, the only true God,
and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
I glorified you on earth
by accomplishing the work that you gave me to do.
Now glorify me, Father, with you,
with the glory that I had with you before the world began.

“I revealed your name to those whom you gave me out of the world.
They belonged to you, and you gave them to me,
and they have kept your word.
Now they know that everything you gave me is from you,
because the words you gave to me I have given to them,
and they accepted them and truly understood that I came from you,
and they have believed that you sent me.
I pray for them.
I do not pray for the world but for the ones you have given me,
because they are yours, and everything of mine is yours
and everything of yours is mine,
and I have been glorified in them.
And now I will no longer be in the world,
but they are in the world, while I am coming to you.”

Meditation: Acts 1:1-11

The Ascension of the Lord


You will receive power … and you will be my witnesses. (Acts 1:8)

Can you imagine how the apostles must have felt when Jesus made this promise just before he returned to heaven? Surely they would have recalled the fear and intimidation they had felt since the crucifixion. Memories of their having abandoned Jesus were probably still fresh in their minds. How could they even begin to hope that Jesus would give them a share in his power? How could they—weak men that they were—even begin to bring his message to the ends of the earth? But Jesus promised, and he always keeps his promises. In just a few short decades, the apostles did spread the gospel all over the known world!

Little did they know, but Jesus’ promise wasn’t just for them. It was for all people in every age to come. In a sense, Jesus was limited when he walked the earth as a man; he could be in only one place at a time. But now that he was going to heaven, he could send the Spirit to millions of people and work through all of them at the same time. When the Spirit did come on Pentecost, the disciples touched more than three thousand people in one day—and that set off a chain reaction. Day by day, and in the centuries to follow, countless disciples have spread the gospel to every corner of the earth.

Today, we are part of this glorious band of witnesses. Through us, Jesus can bring his kingdom to hurting and lost people all over the world. The power of sin can be pushed back more and more through our witness, our holiness, and our prayer. In homes, workplaces, and neighborhoods everywhere, Jesus can open hearts—through us!

So don’t be afraid to share God’s love. Jesus Christ, the ascended Lord, has given you the very same power that governed his life. And he gave it to you so that you could give it to everyone else.

“Jesus, it is an honor to be called your disciple. I want to see you exalted today as I proclaim your gospel with my lips and with my actions.”



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Questions for Reflection or Group Discussion


(Acts 1:1-11; Psalm 47:2-3,6-9; Ephesians 1:17-23; Matthew 28:16-20)


1. The first reading describes the ascension of the Lord. After Jesus ascends, we hear these words from what are obviously angels: “This Jesus who has been taken up into heaven will return in the same way as you have seen him going into heaven.” How important to you is Jesus’ second coming? How important should it be? Why?

2. The responsorial psalm provides a foreshadowing of the joy and celebration that may have occurred in heaven upon Jesus’ return. Spend a minute or so in quiet reflection and try to imagine what your first day in heaven would be like. Were you surprised at what thoughts came to your mind?

3. In the second reading, St. Paul prays a powerful prayer for the believers in Ephesus, and for us. The resurrection and ascension of Jesus to the right hand of the Father is part of this prayer. Pray this prayer slowly and meditate on the words as you do. What does this prayer mean to you?

4. The Gospel reading ends with the words that are the very last words of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew: “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” Why should these words fill us with joy, no matter what our current circumstances are? What steps can you take to be more open to Jesus’ presence during the day?

5. In the meditation, we hear these words: “So don’t be afraid to share God’s love. Jesus Christ, the ascended Lord, has given you the very same power that governed his life. And he gave it to you so that you could give it to everyone else.” In what ways have you experienced God’s love and power in your life, and then given it to others? What are the obstacles that hold you back from doing this? How can you overcome them?

6. Take some time now to pray to receive the courage, boldness, and power to be a witness to others of the love and mercy of Jesus Christ. Use the prayer at the end of the meditation as the starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment