09 May 2010

09 May 2010, Sixth Sunday of Easter

Reading 1
Acts 15:1-2, 22-29


Some who had come down from Judea were instructing the brothers,

“Unless you are circumcised according to the Mosaic practice,

you cannot be saved.”

Because there arose no little dissension and debate

by Paul and Barnabas with them,

it was decided that Paul, Barnabas, and some of the others

should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders

about this question.

The apostles and elders, in agreement with the whole church,

decided to choose representatives

and to send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas.

The ones chosen were Judas, who was called Barsabbas,

and Silas, leaders among the brothers.

This is the letter delivered by them:

“The apostles and the elders, your brothers,

to the brothers in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia

of Gentile origin: greetings.

Since we have heard that some of our number

who went out without any mandate from us

have upset you with their teachings

and disturbed your peace of mind,

we have with one accord decided to choose representatives

and to send them to you along with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,

who have dedicated their lives to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So we are sending Judas and Silas

who will also convey this same message by word of mouth:

‘It is the decision of the Holy Spirit and of us

not to place on you any burden beyond these necessities,

namely, to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols,

from blood, from meats of strangled animals,

and from unlawful marriage.

If you keep free of these,

you will be doing what is right. Farewell.’”

Reading 2
Rev 21:10-14, 22-23


The angel took me in spirit to a great, high mountain

and showed me the holy city Jerusalem

coming down out of heaven from God.

It gleamed with the splendor of God.

Its radiance was like that of a precious stone,

like jasper, clear as crystal.

It had a massive, high wall,

with twelve gates where twelve angels were stationed

and on which names were inscribed,

the names of the twelve tribes of the Israelites.

There were three gates facing east,

three north, three south, and three west.

The wall of the city had twelve courses of stones as its foundation,

on which were inscribed the twelve names

of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.



I saw no temple in the city

for its temple is the Lord God almighty and the Lamb.

The city had no need of sun or moon to shine on it,

for the glory of God gave it light,

and its lamp was the Lamb.

Gospel
Jn 14:23-29


Jesus said to his disciples:

“Whoever loves me will keep my word,

and my Father will love him,

and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.

Whoever does not love me does not keep my words;

yet the word you hear is not mine

but that of the Father who sent me.



“I have told you this while I am with you.

The Advocate, the Holy Spirit,

whom the Father will send in my name,

will teach you everything

and remind you of all that I told you.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.

Not as the world gives do I give it to you.

Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.

You heard me tell you,

‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’

If you loved me,

you would rejoice that I am going to the Father;

for the Father is greater than I.

And now I have told you this before it happens,

so that when it happens you may believe.”


Meditation: Acts 15:1-2,22-29

Unless you are circumcised… . (Acts 15:1)


The apostles were careful not to burden the people who were accepting the gospel. They knew how the Law of Moses could become a stumbling block as Jews and Gentiles began to embrace their message and live together in community. True, the Law is holy, righteous, and good. But it couldn’t accomplish all that Jesus’ death and resurrection did. So why add requirements like circumcision to Gentiles when this practice was not at the heart of the gospel?

Jesus said it, too: “My yoke is easy, and my burden light” (Matthew 11:30). Christianity was never meant to be a burden. In fact, the people from Judea who were preaching circumcision had misinterpreted the scope and purpose of the Law, just as they had misunderstood the power of Jesus’ salvation.

Commenting on this whole episode, St. Paul urged his readers: “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery” (Galatians 5:1). Let these words challenge you today. Don’t take on any unnecessary burdens. Instead, ask yourself: “What expectations do I hold that are leading me to feel guilty and unworthy of God’s love?” “Am I holding myself to an impossibly high standard?” “Am I placing faith in what I can do over what Jesus has already done for me?”

If your Christian walk seems too hard or too bound up in legalisms, step back and talk to Jesus. If you are carrying any needless burdens, ask him to show you his yoke, which is meant to be easy. Ask him to show you his burden, which is meant to be light. And if you are carrying unavoidable burdens, ask him to lighten your load a bit so that you can keep moving forward. Jesus wants you to enjoy his life, in good times and bad.

“Jesus, I want to enjoy your life. Show me today the burdens I don’t need to carry. Bind me to your heart so that I can know your own freedom and joy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment