06 May 2010

06 May 2010, Thursday of Fifth Week of Easter

Reading 1
Acts 15:7-21


After much debate had taken place,

Peter got up and said to the Apostles and the presbyters,

“My brothers, you are well aware that from early days

God made his choice among you that through my mouth

the Gentiles would hear the word of the Gospel and believe.

And God, who knows the heart,

bore witness by granting them the Holy Spirit

just as he did us.

He made no distinction between us and them,

for by faith he purified their hearts.

Why, then, are you now putting God to the test

by placing on the shoulders of the disciples

a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear?

On the contrary, we believe that we are saved

through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they.”

The whole assembly fell silent,

and they listened

while Paul and Barnabas described the signs and wonders

God had worked among the Gentiles through them.



After they had fallen silent, James responded,

“My brothers, listen to me.

Symeon has described how God first concerned himself

with acquiring from among the Gentiles a people for his name.

The words of the prophets agree with this, as is written:



After this I shall return

and rebuild the fallen hut of David;

from its ruins I shall rebuild it

and raise it up again,

so that the rest of humanity may seek out the Lord,

even all the Gentiles on whom my name is invoked.

Thus says the Lord who accomplishes these things,

known from of old.



It is my judgment, therefore,

that we ought to stop troubling the Gentiles who turn to God,

but tell them by letter to avoid pollution from idols,

unlawful marriage, the meat of strangled animals, and blood.

For Moses, for generations now,

has had those who proclaim him in every town,

as he has been read in the synagogues every sabbath.”

Gospel
Jn 15:9-11


Jesus said to his disciples:

“As the Father loves me, so I also love you.

Remain in my love.

If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,

just as I have kept my Father’s commandments

and remain in his love.



“I have told you this so that

my joy might be in you and

your joy might be complete.”


Meditation: John 15:9-11

I have told you this so that my joy might be in you and your joy might be complete. (John 15:11)


Lots of people would pay a fortune for the secret to “total” joy. It’s a good thing that in today’s reading, Jesus gives it away for free!

You will have joy that is “complete,” Jesus tells us, if you “remain in my love.” And how do you do that? “Keep my commandments … just as I have kept my Father’s commandments” (John 15:9-10).

So there is a catch. Doing God’s will is a chore. Well, not really. Instinctively, we all sense that we’re happy when we are doing what God wants—even when it is difficult. If nothing else, we know this from how we feel when we aren’t doing his will! Cardinal John Henry Newman made this point in one of his sermons:

Can’t you recall, at some time or other, having done something you knew to be wrong? Don’t you remember what a piercing bitter feeling came on you afterwards? Isn’t the feeling of a bad conscience more distressing than any other? Until we blunt our conscience, it is very painful.

And why is it so painful? Because God made us to be happy by abiding in him. When we choose our way over his, we are going against our very nature. We are disrupting the flow of love that brings us life. We are stifling the longing that is deep in every human heart: “To do your will is my delight!” (Psalm 40:9).

The truth is, obedience is just the opposite of wearisome duty. It’s the golden key that unlocks room after room of spiritual treasures. Every saint knew this. Even when obedience was painful and costly, they held fast to God’s will because they knew it would open the way to the deepest longing of the human heart—to be with Jesus. As Cardinal Newman said, living like this isn’t burdensome. Instead, it brings “indescribable joy and gladness.”

What does obedience mean for you? Does your key need a little dusting off?

“Jesus, help me to walk through this day with the key of obedience in my hand so that I can open the doors of holiness and intimacy with you. Show me the delights of obeying your will. Lead me into the joy of abiding in your love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment