05 November 2009

05 Nov 09 Thursday, Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time - Year I

Reading 1
Rom 14:7-12


Brothers and sisters:
None of us lives for oneself, and no one dies for oneself.
For if we live, we live for the Lord,
and if we die, we die for the Lord;
so then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.
For this is why Christ died and came to life,
that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Why then do you judge your brother or sister?
Or you, why do you look down on your brother or sister?
For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God;
for it is written:

As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bend before me,
and every tongue shall give praise to God.

So then each of us shall give an account of himself to God.

Gospel
Lk 15:1-10


The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to Jesus,
but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying,
“This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
So Jesus addressed this parable to them.
“What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them
would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert
and go after the lost one until he finds it?
And when he does find it,
he sets it on his shoulders with great joy
and, upon his arrival home,
he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
I tell you, in just the same way
there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents
than over ninety-nine righteous people
who have no need of repentance.

“Or what woman having ten coins and losing one
would not light a lamp and sweep the house,
searching carefully until she finds it?
And when she does find it,
she calls together her friends and neighbors
and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’
In just the same way, I tell you,
there will be rejoicing among the angels of God
over one sinner who repents.”

Meditation: Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom do I fear? (Psalm 27:1)


David had a host of things to fear: enemies and foes coming “to devour” his flesh; armies encamped, and wars waged, against him; even the threat of disruption in his immediate family. But in the midst of all these hazards, David came up with a curious solution. His answer wasn’t to recruit a larger army or tighten security. It wasn’t to get tougher with his children or try to escape the challenges that confronted him.

No, David’s answer was to seek the Lord, to gaze on his loveliness and contemplate his temple (Psalm 27:4). Imagine: With danger and mayhem all around him, David chose to rest in the Lord’s presence. He chose to find the calm center of God’s grace, where he could receive the strength and guidance he needed.

We should be clear, too, that this was more than a last-ditch solution to dire situations. David often sang and danced, praised and rejoiced before the Lord, in good times and in bad. It seems that he genuinely took delight in God’s presence and that he let these times with the Lord form and shape him.

May the same be said of us! It’s good to learn to visit the Lord and simply to sit in his presence. Just sit. Put aside your list of needs, wants, fears, or complaints, and fix your eyes on who God is. Contemplate his goodness, kindness, justice, and faithfulness.

As you spend this time in the “house” of the Lord, let him love you back. Wait patiently and peacefully for him to speak to you. He will do it! Then take whatever you think he is saying, and turn it into a little “creed” for your day: “Jesus, I believe that you have come to bring me life to the full.” “Jesus, I believe that you came not to condemn but to save.” “Jesus, I believe that you are the Good Shepherd.”

Do this every day—especially when life is calm—and you will become clearer on how to deal with the tough times when they come. No matter what challenges you face, you will find yourself responding: “Jesus, I believe…”

“Lord, I want to sit in your presence. Fill my thoughts with the truth of your love and your goodness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment