22 January 2012

19 Jan 2012, Thursday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1 1 Sm 18:6-9; 19:1-7

When David and Saul approached
(on David's return after slaying the Philistine),
women came out from each of the cities of Israel to meet King Saul,
singing and dancing, with tambourines, joyful songs, and sistrums.
The women played and sang:

"Saul has slain his thousands,
and David his ten thousands."

Saul was very angry and resentful of the song, for he thought:
"They give David ten thousands, but only thousands to me.
All that remains for him is the kingship."
And from that day on, Saul was jealous of David.

Saul discussed his intention of killing David
with his son Jonathan and with all his servants.
But Saul's son Jonathan, who was very fond of David, told him:
"My father Saul is trying to kill you.
Therefore, please be on your guard tomorrow morning;
get out of sight and remain in hiding.
I, however, will go out and stand beside my father
in the countryside where you are, and will speak to him about you.
If I learn anything, I will let you know."

Jonathan then spoke well of David to his father Saul, saying to him:
"Let not your majesty sin against his servant David,
for he has committed no offense against you,
but has helped you very much by his deeds.
When he took his life in his hands and slew the Philistine,
and the LORD brought about a great victory
for all Israel through him,
you were glad to see it.
Why, then, should you become guilty of shedding innocent blood
by killing David without cause?"
Saul heeded Jonathan's plea and swore,
"As the LORD lives, he shall not be killed."
So Jonathan summoned David and repeated the whole conversation to him.
Jonathan then brought David to Saul, and David served him as before.

Responsorial Psalm Ps 56:2-3, 9-10a, 10b-11, 12-13

R. (5b) In God I trust; I shall not fear.
Have mercy on me, O God, for men trample upon me;
all the day they press their attack against me.
My adversaries trample upon me all the day;
yes, many fight against me.
R. In God I trust; I shall not fear.
My wanderings you have counted;
my tears are stored in your flask;
are they not recorded in your book?
Then do my enemies turn back,
when I call upon you.
R. In God I trust; I shall not fear.
Now I know that God is with me.
In God, in whose promise I glory,
in God I trust without fear;
what can flesh do against me?
R. In God I trust; I shall not fear.
I am bound, O God, by vows to you;
your thank offerings I will fulfill.
For you have rescued me from death,
my feet, too, from stumbling;
that I may walk before God in the light of the living.
R. In God I trust; I shall not fear.

Gospel Mk 3:7-12

Jesus withdrew toward the sea with his disciples.
A large number of people followed from Galilee and from Judea.
Hearing what he was doing,
a large number of people came to him also from Jerusalem,
from Idumea, from beyond the Jordan,
and from the neighborhood of Tyre and Sidon.
He told his disciples to have a boat ready for him because of the crowd,
so that they would not crush him.
He had cured many and, as a result, those who had diseases
were pressing upon him to touch him.
And whenever unclean spirits saw him they would fall down before him
and shout, "You are the Son of God."
He warned them sternly not to make him known.

Meditation: 1 Samuel 18:6-9; 19:1-7

“Saul has slain his thou­sands, and David his ten thousands.” (1 Samuel 18:7)

Saul was a man with both strengths and weaknesses. As Israel’s first king, chosen by God and anointed by the prophet Samuel, he certainly enjoyed the favor of the Lord and received divine strength for his mission. A strong man, marked with dignity above his fel­low Israelites, he had personal cour­age and charisma. He was a natural leader, and he began his reign with great promise and potential.

Yet Saul’s adult life was marked by two tragic flaws: jealousy and dis­obedience. Today’s first reading high­lights his jealous streak. The fact that David—a mere servant—was receiv­ing greater acclamation than Saul drove the king to consider David a rival and contemplate killing him. Even though Saul’s son, Jonathan, was able to temporarily persuade Saul not to harm David, Scripture tells us that his jealousy did not end. On numerous occasions later on, Saul made attempts on David’s life. Ultimately, David was forced to flee.

As if this weren’t enough, Saul also exhibited a pattern of disobe­dience toward God. After he won a particularly fierce battle against the Amalekites, Saul offered an unlaw­ful sacrifice (1 Samuel 13:8-10). He also spared the Amalekites’ king and the best of the people’s cattle, in direct disobedience to God’s com­mand (15:7-9). Finally, in defiance of the Law of Moses, Saul consulted a pagan soothsayer to seek direction instead of asking God for guidance (28:4-25). On the next day, Saul was critically wounded in battle and, in despair, took his own life (31:3-6).

Don’t make the same mistake as Saul! Don’t underestimate the destructive potential of sin! It’s because Saul let failings like jeal­ousy and disobedience fester in him that he met with such a tragic death. Perhaps you are struggling with some flaws in your own life. Rather than turning a blind eye to them or, even worse, feeding them, find the cour­age to turn to Jesus for healing and strength. Go to him in the Sacrament of Reconciliation and let him set you free. Don’t give up on God. He hasn’t given up on you. Even now, he promises that he can change any­one who turns to him.

“Lord Jesus, heal me of every hurtful situation and jealous thought. Let your love and compassion restore my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment