03 August 2011

01 Aug 2011, Memorial of Saint Alphonsus Liguori, bishop and doctor of the Church

Reading 1
Nm 11:4b-15


The children of Israel lamented,
“Would that we had meat for food!
We remember the fish we used to eat without cost in Egypt,
and the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks,
the onions, and the garlic.
But now we are famished;
we see nothing before us but this manna.”

Manna was like coriander seed and had the color of resin.
When they had gone about and gathered it up,
the people would grind it between millstones or pound it in a mortar,
then cook it in a pot and make it into loaves,
which tasted like cakes made with oil.
At night, when the dew fell upon the camp, the manna also fell.

When Moses heard the people, family after family,
crying at the entrance of their tents,
so that the LORD became very angry, he was grieved.
“Why do you treat your servant so badly?” Moses asked the Lord.
“Why are you so displeased with me
that you burden me with all this people?
Was it I who conceived all this people?
Or was it I who gave them birth,
that you tell me to carry them at my bosom,
like a foster father carrying an infant,
to the land you have promised under oath to their fathers?
Where can I get meat to give to all this people?
For they are crying to me,
‘Give us meat for our food.’
I cannot carry all this people by myself,
for they are too heavy for me.
If this is the way you will deal with me,
then please do me the favor of killing me at once,
so that I need no longer face this distress.”


81:12-13, 14-15, 16-17
Responsorial Psalm R. (2a)


Sing with joy to God our help.
“My people heard not my voice,
and Israel obeyed me not;
So I gave them up to the hardness of their hearts;
they walked according to their own counsels.”
R. Sing with joy to God our help.
“If only my people would hear me,
and Israel walk in my ways,
Quickly would I humble their enemies;
against their foes I would turn my hand.”
R. Sing with joy to God our help.
“Those who hated the LORD would seek to flatter me,
but their fate would endure forever,
While Israel I would feed with the best of wheat,
and with honey from the rock I would fill them.”
R. Sing with joy to God our help.


Gospel
Mt 14:22-36


Jesus made the disciples get into a boat
and precede him to the other side of the sea,
while he dismissed the crowds.
After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray.
When it was evening he was there alone.
Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore,
was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it.
During the fourth watch of the night,
he came toward them, walking on the sea.
When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified.
“It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear.
At once Jesus spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
Peter said to him in reply,
“Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
He said, “Come.”
Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.
But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened;
and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him,
and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
After they got into the boat, the wind died down.
Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying,
“Truly, you are the Son of God.”

After making the crossing, they came to land at Gennesaret.
When the men of that place recognized him,
they sent word to all the surrounding country.
People brought to him all those who were sick
and begged him that they might touch only the tassel on his cloak,
and as many as touched it were healed.

Meditation: Numbers 11:4-15

“Lord, save me!” (Matthew 14:30)


We all have natural reflexes. We jump when we are startled. We try to grab onto something if we are falling, or duck out of the way when something is flying toward us. Without stopping and thinking about it, we just do it.

What about inner reflexes? When suddenly faced with a tough situation, what’s your first reaction? Is it to turn inward and panic? Or is it to run to the Lord for help and wisdom?

Moses was faced with the Israelites’ complaints as they grew tired of their daily supply of manna. Moses’ frustration was quite understandable. Here God was providing for them miraculously, and they still weren’t satisfied. So what was Moses’ reflex action? To turn to the Lord for help.

In a similar way, when Peter stepped out of the boat and began walking toward Jesus, he was faced with swirling, violent waters. Beginning to sink, he immediately cried to Jesus for help—and he was saved.

How are your spiritual reflexes? Do you call out: “Lord, save me!” when a storm hits? Or do you focus all your attention on the problem and try to fix everything yourself? Jesus wants us to get in the habit of turning to him first so that he can calm the storm swirling within us before we address whatever storms are swirling around us. Sometimes it may seem illogical. Sometimes it may feel as if we’re going against our gut instincts. But in many situations, the best thing we can do first is calm down, pray, and seek his presence.

Jesus wants to save us in every situation. When you struggle with a relationship, you can turn to him for the compassion you need. When you are deciding which course of action to pursue, you can ask him for perspective. When you are facing an illness or physical limitation, you can seek his healing power even as you pursue medical treatment. Jesus is ready to meet you anytime, anywhere, about anything you face.

“Lord, I trust in your unfailing love. Teach me to run to you first and foremost.”

No comments:

Post a Comment