27 February 2011

27 Feb 2011, Sunday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
Is 49:14-15


Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me;
my LORD has forgotten me.”
Can a mother forget her infant,
be without tenderness for the child of her womb?
Even should she forget,
I will never forget you.

Ps 62:2-3, 6-7, 8-9
Responsorial PsalmR. (6a)


Rest in God alone, my soul.
Only in God is my soul at rest;
from him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed at all.
R. Rest in God alone, my soul.
Only in God be at rest, my soul,
for from him comes my hope.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed.
R. Rest in God alone, my soul.
With God is my safety and my glory,
he is the rock of my strength; my refuge is in God.
Trust in him at all times, O my people!
Pour out your hearts before him.
R. Rest in God alone, my soul.

Reading 2
1 Cor 4:1-5


Brothers and sisters:
Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ
and stewards of the mysteries of God.
Now it is of course required of stewards
that they be found trustworthy.
It does not concern me in the least
that I be judged by you or any human tribunal;
I do not even pass judgment on myself;
I am not conscious of anything against me,
but I do not thereby stand acquitted;
the one who judges me is the Lord.
Therefore do not make any judgment before the appointed time,
until the Lord comes,
for he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness
and will manifest the motives of our hearts,
and then everyone will receive praise from God.

Gospel
Mt 6:24-34


Jesus said to his disciples:
“No one can serve two masters.
He will either hate one and love the other,
or be devoted to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve God and mammon.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink,
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,
yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are not you more important than they?
Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?
Why are you anxious about clothes?
Learn from the way the wild flowers grow.
They do not work or spin.
But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor
was clothed like one of them.
If God so clothes the grass of the field,
which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow,
will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’
or ‘What are we to drink?’or ‘What are we to wear?’
All these things the pagans seek.
Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil.”

Meditation: Matthew 6:24-34

“Do not worry about your life.” (Matthew 6:25)


Have you ever noticed how anxiety can be a trap? Anticipating some vague danger, we feel apprehensive, tense, uneasy. We may worry about sinning, about doing something wrong, or even about doing something imperfectly. Whenever we feel this way, Jesus says two things to us: “Be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect” and “Do not worry” (Matthew 5:48; 6:25).

Actually, these two commands belong together. Because we can’t become perfect ourselves, we have no choice but to surrender to Jesus and let him perfect us according to his wisdom and his timing. And that act of surrender frees us from worry. God has us in the palm of his hands, and he will work all things for our good so long as we try our best to love and honor him (Romans 8:28). All we have to do is live in the present, trying to stay close to our Father.

Many of us feel a great burden to care for our loved ones. We come up against the sad truth that we don’t have all it takes to do the job. We can’t shield them from every sin. We can’t prevent every sickness or injury. And we certainly can’t stop death. And so we start to worry.

How liberating, then, to know that people’s well-being doesn’t depend only on us! What a relief to know that God is at work in their lives—oftentimes invisibly—to provide for them and make up for what we lack. Anxiety doesn’t have to gnaw at us, draining us of our hope and depriving us of our joy. We are all children of the Father, and he will let no one slip through his hands.

Jesus faced many challenges, but he never let anxiety get the better of him. He simply put everything into his Father’s hands. We can do the same. Take a minute right now to identify the situations that trouble you the most. Then hand them over to the One who can handle them perfectly.

“Lord, teach me to rely on your love. May every trial become an opportunity to grow in faith and trust. May your love cast out all fear and anxiety!”



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions for Reflection or Group Discussion

(Isaiah 49:14-15; Psalm 62:2-3,6-9; 1 Corinthians 4:1-5; Matthew 6:24-3)


1. In the first reading the Lord tells us, with very tender words, that he will never forsake us or forget us.” These words also remind us of the Lord’s words quoted in Hebrews 13:5, “I will never forsake you or abandon you.” How easy is it for you to lose sight of these words when you are experiencing a difficult situation?

2. In the responsorial psalm, the psalmist echoes the words of the first reading calling on us to “Trust in Him at all times” and “Pour out your hearts before Him.” What steps can you take to deepen your trust and confidence in the Lord’s care for you? When you come before the Lord in prayer, do you pour out your heart before him? If not, why not?

3. In the second reading, St. Paul tells us that we should be regarded as “servants of Christ and stewards of his mysteries” and that we should be “found trustworthy.” What do you think these words mean? How “trustworthy” are you as a steward of the “mysteries” of God?

4. In the Gospel reading, Jesus tells us not to worry about what we have and don’t have or what will happen in the future. Rather he says to “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.” What steps can you take to do this each day?

5. In the meditation, we hear these words: “Jesus faced many challenges, but he never let anxiety get the better of him. He simply put everything into his Father’s hands. We can do the same. Take a minute right now to identify the situations that trouble you the most. Then hand them over to the One who can handle them perfectly.” (Matthew 5:44-45). What situations in your life trouble you the most? What are the obstacles that keep you from truly handing them over “to the One who can handle them perfectly”?

6. Take some time to pray that you would surrender your deepest anxieties and worries to the Lord, trusting in his great love for you. Use the prayer at the end of the meditation as the starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment