10 November 2010

10 Nov 2010, Memorial of Saint Leo the Great, pope and doctor of the Church

Reading 1
Ti 3:1-7


Beloved:
Remind them to be under the control of magistrates and authorities,
to be obedient, to be open to every good enterprise.
They are to slander no one, to be peaceable, considerate,
exercising all graciousness toward everyone.
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, deluded,
slaves to various desires and pleasures,
living in malice and envy,
hateful ourselves and hating one another.

But when the kindness and generous love
of God our savior appeared,
not because of any righteous deeds we had done
but because of his mercy,
he saved us through the bath of rebirth
and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
whom he richly poured out on us
through Jesus Christ our savior,
so that we might be justified by his grace
and become heirs in hope of eternal life.

Ps 23:1b-3a, 3bc-4, 5, 6
Responsorial PsalmR. (1)


The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
Beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
He guides me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side
With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
You spread the table before me
in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Only goodness and kindness follow me
all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
for years to come.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

Gospel
Lk 17:11-19


As Jesus continued his journey to Jerusalem,
he traveled through Samaria and Galilee.
As he was entering a village, ten lepers met him.
They stood at a distance from him and raised their voice, saying,
“Jesus, Master! Have pity on us!”
And when he saw them, he said,
“Go show yourselves to the priests.”
As they were going they were cleansed.
And one of them, realizing he had been healed,
returned, glorifying God in a loud voice;
and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him.
He was a Samaritan.
Jesus said in reply,
“Ten were cleansed, were they not?
Where are the other nine?
Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?”
Then he said to him, “Stand up and go;
your faith has saved you.”

Meditation: Luke 17:11-19

“Your faith has saved you.” (Luke 17:19)


Imagine yourself as the Samaritan in today’s Gospel. A victim of Hansen’s Disease—leprosy—you are an outcast. Out of concern for public health and ritual purity, you have to live outside the city, away from your family (Numbers 5:2-3). Your face is deformed and left partially paralyzed. Perhaps a couple of fingers or even a hand has had to be amputated. Maybe your feet are starting to get deformed, making it hard to walk. The stench of the ulcers on your body causes people to be repelled by you. As you walk the streets, you warn people to keep away from you: “Unclean, unclean!” (Leviticus 13:45). There is no cure for your disease. You are condemned to a life of misery and decay.

But then you meet Jesus. You cry out to him, and he sends you to the priests. As you believe and begin to walk, one of your companions turns and says: “Your sores are gone! Your skin is so smooth and clear! You’ve been healed!” You look down at your hands and feel your face, and joy envelops your heart. Amazed and grateful, you run back to Jesus, throw yourself at his feet, and worship him.

This story tells us what Jesus is looking for from all of us. Every time our faith is increased or our prayers are answered, he wants us to turn to him in thanksgiving and worship. Why? Because he loves being praised? Not at all. Rather, it’s because he knows that when we come to him in worship, our faith is built up even more. Every time we praise and thank him for his marvelous deeds in our lives, our hearts are softened even more, and we become even more open to his word, his work, and his love.

So today, take some time to write down the most grace-filled moments you have experienced in your walk with the Lord. Where have you seen God work the most powerfully? Meditate on these events and let them move you to worship. Give yourself to the Lord in a deeper surrender so that he can take you even further in your faith.

“Lord, with all my heart I sing your praises. Thank you for turning my mourning into dancing and my tears into laughter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment