21 July 2010

21 July 2010, Wednesday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
Jer 1:1, 4-10


The words of Jeremiah, son of Hilkiah,
of a priestly family in Anathoth, in the land of Benjamin.

The word of the LORD came to me thus:

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I dedicated you,
a prophet to the nations I appointed you.
"Ah, Lord GOD!" I said,
AI know not how to speak; I am too young."

But the LORD answered me,
Say not, "I am too young."
To whomever I send you, you shall go;
whatever I command you, you shall speak.
Have no fear before them,
because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.

Then the LORD extended his hand and touched my mouth, saying,

See, I place my words in your mouth!
This day I set you
over nations and over kingdoms,
To root up and to tear down,
to destroy and to demolish,
to build and to plant.

Gospel
Mt 13:1-9


On that day, Jesus went out of the house and sat down by the sea.
Such large crowds gathered around him
that he got into a boat and sat down,
and the whole crowd stood along the shore.
And he spoke to them at length in parables, saying:
"A sower went out to sow.
And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path,
and birds came and ate it up.
Some fell on rocky ground, where it had little soil.
It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep,
and when the sun rose it was scorched,
and it withered for lack of roots.
Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it.
But some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit,
a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.
Whoever has ears ought to hear."

Meditation: Jeremiah 1:1,4-10

“Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.” (Jeremiah 1:5)


Consider what this simple verse means. You are irreplaceable. You are one of a kind. Before he even created you, God had a purpose for your life that is different from his purpose for anyone else’s life. And in making you, he gave you all the grace and talents you need to accomplish that purpose. Yet like Jeremiah, we can protest: “I don’t know how to speak,” or “I am too young/old/busy.” The list can be endless.

Forget that list! Instead, take one step in the direction you feel God is laying before you and see where it goes. Trust him to direct you and to correct the course if you get it wrong.

Once, while praying in a decrepit church, St. Francis of Assisi heard the Lord tell him: “Rebuild my house, which is falling in ruins.” Knowing nothing about building repair, Francis collected money and hired someone to do the job. After a little correction from God, he began physically rebuilding that church himself. After some more redirection, Francis understood that he was called to take up a life of poverty and preaching so that he could bring renewal to the whole church, not just reconstruct one building. So he did end up rebuilding the house of the Lord. It just took a while to get it right.

Take that one step, and he’ll show you the next. If you feel that the Spirit wants you to pray—then start praying! Maybe later he’ll have you invite other people to join you or give you a specific direction for your prayer. But start praying now. If you have a particular love for the elderly, call a local nursing home and ask about volunteer positions. Start with what you know and let the Spirit give you further direction as you go.

Don’t let the fear of getting it “wrong” keep you from getting started! God doesn’t mind mistakes and misunderstanding. The important thing is to set out. He will provide what you lack. He will empower you and redirect you where necessary. He will take care of the details, probably in ways you can’t even imagine. Just remember that God created you for a reason. He has called you to do things that only you can accomplish!

“Holy Spirit, help me know how I am supposed to serve. Give me boldness and trust in the Father’s guidance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment