28 April 2010

28 April 2010, Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Reading 1
Acts 12:24—13:5a


The word of God continued to spread and grow.

After Barnabas and Saul completed their relief mission,
they returned to Jerusalem,
taking with them John, who is called Mark.

Now there were in the Church at Antioch prophets and teachers:
Barnabas, Symeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene,
Manaen who was a close friend of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said,
“Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul
for the work to which I have called them.”
Then, completing their fasting and prayer,
they laid hands on them and sent them off.

So they, sent forth by the Holy Spirit,
went down to Seleucia
and from there sailed to Cyprus.
When they arrived in Salamis,
they proclaimed the word of God in the Jewish synagogues.

Gospel
Jn 12:44-50


Jesus cried out and said,
“Whoever believes in me believes not only in me
but also in the one who sent me,
and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.
I came into the world as light,
so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness.
And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them,
I do not condemn him,
for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world.
Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words
has something to judge him: the word that I spoke,
it will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own,
but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.
And I know that his commandment is eternal life.
So what I say, I say as the Father told me.”


Meditation: Acts 12:24–13:5

The word of God continued to spread and grow. (Acts 12:24)


It is truly amazing how the word of God has spread from twelve apostles to encompass the whole wide world! It all started with Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit fell upon those gathered in the upper room, enabling them to proclaim the wonders of God in many languages and tongues. Three thousand people heard the gospel that day and became believers.

Shortly after that, Peter and John healed a beggar who could not walk, providing an opportunity to add another two thousand to their number. After this, the apostles began to meet regularly in the Temple area, where many miracles were performed, and many more heard the word of God preached to them for the first time.

With the martyrdom of St. Stephen, a persecution broke out against the believers, and many believers were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. They continued to preach the gospel wherever they went. Because of this dispersion, the word of God spread to Tarsus, Caesarea, and Antioch. Finally, with the missionary journeys of Paul and Barnabas, the word of God reached as far as Ephesus, Corinth, Rome, and even Spain.

Two thousand years later, the word of God continues to grow and spread as Christians across the globe bear witness to the power and love of God in their lives.

God wants to use you as he spreads his word and his love across the world—he really does! He promises us that his word will never return to him empty, but will accomplish the purposes for which he sends it out (Isaiah 55:10-11). You can be sure that every opportunity you take to share your faith will be blessed in some way or other. You may see a person come to instant conversion. You may simply be watering a seed that someone else has planted. Or you may be planting a brand new seed yourself. Whatever the result, know that God sees every good thing you do, and he rewards it. Remember: He is even more eager than you to see people embrace the gospel. Of course he will bless your efforts!

“Thank you, Lord, that your word never returns to you empty! Give me the courage to tell of your love to those I meet. Teach me how to offer hope to those who need the light of Christ.”

No comments:

Post a Comment