27 October 2009

27 Oct 09 Tuesday, Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time - Year 1

Reading 1
Rom 8:18-25

Brothers and sisters:I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us. For creation awaits with eager expectation the revelation of the children of God; for creation was made subject to futility, not of its own accord but because of the one who subjected it, in hope that creation itself would be set free from slavery to corruption and share in the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that all creation is groaning in labor pains even until now;a nd not only that, but we ourselves,who have the first fruits of the Spirit, we also groan within ourselves as we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved. Now hope that sees for itself is not hope. For who hopes for what one sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance.

Gospel
Lk 13:18-21

Jesus said, “What is the Kingdom of God like? To what can I compare it? It is like a mustard seed that a man took and planted in the garden. When it was fully grown, it became a large bush and the birds of the sky dwelt in its branches.”

Again he said, “To what shall I compare the Kingdom of God? It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of wheat flour until the whole batch of dough was leavened.”

Meditation: Romans 8:18-25

If we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance. (Romans 8:25)

Near nightfall, a solitary mountain climber slipped backward over a precipice but was able to break his fall by catching hold of a small rocky ledge. Hour after hour, he held on desperately, hoping that someone would come along and rescue him. Finally, he could hold on no longer. His fingers released their grip, and he began sliding. Almost immediately, his feet hit solid ground. A safe level place had been only a short distance beneath him the whole time!

In the midst of suffering and trials, we may feel like that stranded climber, hanging on for dear life, clinging to the faint hope that we will be rescued. We “groan within ourselves as we wait” (Romans 8:23). Yet when we place our trust in the God who loves us and let go, we discover that the solid ground of his love was right beneath us all the time.

There is a big difference between hoping-that and hoping-in. I hope that researchers will discover a cure for diabetes or that God will intervene to heal me. But I hope in the God who loves me, sustains me and provides the wisdom and encouragement I need to live with diabetes. I hope that my wayward child will listen to my advice and repent of destructive decisions. I hope in the God who loves him far more than I do and is continually seeking him out. I hope that my financial situation will improve. But I hope in the Father who provides for all my needs out of his abundant resources.

We can hope that our situation improves, that things turn out for the best, or that heaven awaits us. Those are all future events that can help keep us moving forward, and they are appropriate petitions to lay before the Father. But far more powerful is placing our hope in the God who loves us here and now, and who will never abandon us.

”Father, I know that your love is sustaining me right now. Grant me the grace to hope in you and to trust that you hold my future in your loving hands.”

2 comments:

  1. I happened to stumble upon your blog at the weekend and just wanted to say thank you! My life is full of complications at the moment and who else do I turn too? Jesus of course! It's really strange how although I know I have been lucky with many things in my life, I always have the Lord God to speak to. I have very much been a lapsed catholic for quite a few years, but when I dusted off my daily missal to find the readings and Gospel, I fell upon this blog. I also am a pretty healthy person and diabetic for 25 years, so your message today really touched me. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, praise the Lord for He has given you His message of love and salvation for you.

    Most of all, please know that God Loves You.

    ReplyDelete